Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Liz's visit/Tynemouth #2


My friend Liz from St. Andrews came down for a visit this weekend. She arrived Saturday afternoon, so we set about walking around the town. I took her through campus to High street. We then ventured down to the River Tyne around sunset, and it was quite lovely. I called Rob and Jaime to see if they were interested in meeting up, and we decided that we would go to Chinatown for dinner since Liz hadn't had Chinese food since she had been here. Since it was kind of early, the restaurant that I like wasn't open yet, so we tried a different one. The appetizers were delicious, however the main courses left a little to be desired. Liz and I split spicy fried chicken, which turned out not to be spicy, and each little nugget of chicken had bones in it. Rob decided to go with the mixed meats with udon noodles, and was in for a real meat treat. We identified balls of fish, pork, octopus, tofu, and a various assortment of other things. We then headed to a pub for a drink, conversation, and some good people watching.

On Sunday, we met up with Jamie and Rob to go to Tynemouth. It was sunny out, but windy and cold. We got to Tynemouth, and walked around the market in the train station for a bit. We then ventured to the priory. It just got windier, and was quite an experience. In fact, at one point my face was so frozen, I had a hard time moving my facial muscles! Not to mention that if you opened your mouth, your teeth froze. I have decided that Tynemouth is one of my favorite places, and I anticipate that when it gets warmer I will spend a bit of time there. We walked around the priory and graveyard, fighting the wind and having a good time. We then had a quick bite to eat before heading back to Newcastle.

Once back in town we stopped at the store for some provisions for dinner. We decided to make tacos at Rob and Jamie's. We also had brownies and watched TV. It was a nice relaxing dinner after fighting the wind all day. We headed back to my building, and shortly went to bed. Alissa was out of town for the weekend, so she was generous and let me sleep in her room, while Liz took mine.

On Monday, I had to get some work done, so Liz headed out to explore a bit on her own before heading back to St. Andrews. I think it was a successful weekend overall, and I imagine we will do it again at some point.

Tomorrow morning I meet again with my supervisor to discuss my dissertation, and hopefully to also discuss my research proposal for my PhD application. I would also like to get a head's start on my funding applications, since I am sure it will be a long, tedious process. TTFN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Newcastle in Feb shouldn't be that cold. Drop a thought by Rob/Jaime or Alissa about hitting a game with Man UTD v Newcastle, see what they think. I'll send the pix to you; I completely forgot! So sorry :(
~Liz