Thursday, November 8, 2007

Random Tidbits from the last week...

In addition to Halloween and Guy Fawkes day, I have been having a lovely time. I stayed in last Friday night due to lack of sleep earlier in the week. But Saturday morning, I met up with Jaime, and we ventured over to Ikea. It is in Gateshead, which is just on the other side of the river Tyne. We took the train to get there, but it's only one stop. The Costco is right next to the Ikea, and there is a big mall there too. So we walked around Ikea, having a good time and talking. I bought some new bedding (yes!) so I finally feel like a real person! I got an extra duvet, which I put over my mattress for padding. I also got some extra sheets, since I only had one fitted sheet before. My bed is ten times more comfortable now, so I sleep better!

Saturday night, Alissa and I went with some new friends to try to find a party. We wandered around Jesmond, with no luck. Finally we were next to a pretty happening bar, so a couple of us went inside, while the others went off to find the party. We had a couple drinks, including one Pimms. We headed in kind of early, but that was ok.

On Sunday, I wanted to be very productive. I met Alissa in the library to get some reading done. However, I was tired, so it was hard not to fall asleep! Alissa, Anik and I went over to Jaime and Rob's for dinner. Rob cooked a delicious roast with vegetables, gravy and a cabbage/apple slaw. It was so delicious, Rob spoils us! (But I am certainly not complaining!) They had also made homemade chocolate chip cookies, and we ate those up! We also watched "V for Vendetta" to prepare ourselves for Guy Fawkes day the following day. We watched the motorcycle show with my boyfriend Ewan McGregor, where he and his friend ride their motorcycles through Europe and Africa down to Cape Town.

Tuesday was eventful in that I bought my plane ticket home for Christmas. I also went to a seminar about Periodization in history, which was quite good.

Wednesday I met with the man who will probably be my dissertation supervisor to discuss possible dissertation topics. He gave me some good ideas, and I am going to the archives tomorrow to look at sources. In the afternoon, I met with the program director to discuss applying for my PhD. I am going to go ahead and apply, because it is something I want to do. He said I am guaranteed a spot, and that the application is a formality. Although I do have to submit a research proposal, which is a little nerve wracking since I don't have an MA dissertation topic yet! But the university and the history department do all they can to help students get funding, plus the guy who will probably be my supervisor is the head of the graduate school, and he gets a lot of funding for students. It certainly won't hurt to apply, and if I change my mind, or something comes up so that I can't do it, it's no big deal. The PhD program is three years, but there are lots of teaching opportunities available, which is something I would like to do while getting my PhD. So I feel really good about it!

I am trying hard to stay focused and get a bunch of my work done before I come home for Christmas. I am going to the Tyne and Wear Archives tomorrow with a fellow classmate, so I hope that will be fruitful.

Alissa is home for the weekend for a wedding. I am a little sad that she isn't here, but I am so glad she gets to go home and see her friends and family! My friend Liz from St. Andrews will be here this weekend, so I will show her around town. Not entirely sure what we will do yet, but I am sure it will be fun. We might do something with Jaime and Rob on Sunday, so hopefully it will work out that we do something together. Other than that, it's work, work, work. My three assessments are due at the end of January, so I feel like I have plenty of time, but I want to get on top of things, especially if I have to start applying for funding for next year. I am also afraid that I won't do much work for the two weeks I am home, but that's fine since I will be so happy to see everyone.

Well I am off to do a little more reading till bedtime!

2 comments:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

Ah, precious life-giving Pimm's No.1 Cup! Is there anything better?

Where is Alissa from? That is what's more important for her to go home for than stay home and pay attention to you?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.