Friday, January 25, 2008

Movin' on up, to the East side...!

Good news, I have officially moved out of my building! I am now living with Rob and Jamie in their flat, which has a larger bed, a bathtub, a couch and tv, and I only have to share a kitchen with the two of them! My friend Candice helped me move my things today in her car, which happens to be a red VW Golf. It is amazing how much stuff I have accumulated in only a few months, but we got it all in one trip, so that was good. I have to go back to my old building tomorrow to pack up my food, and give my room a quick clean. No more clicking heater. No more loud guy above me! Not to mention the money I will be saving...

Also, I turned in my last paper today! I had an essay due last Friday that was on microhistory, that had to be 5,000 words long. I had a smaller essay due on Monday, and today I turned in a paper on the historiography of witchcraft. The relief hasn't quite sunk in yet, I have a feeling I forgot to include something, or there is a noticeable mistake. However, I do feel pretty confident that all my papers were at least decent. I organized an evening out tonight for all the postgraduate history students, in celebration of the end of semester one. Should be pretty fun!

I start classes on Monday. Everyone has to take the research training module for historians, which I hope will be useful, however I am slightly doubtful about it. We also either have to take a qualitative or quantitative training course. I was originally going to do the quantitative course which teaches you how to create databases and compile statistics, yada, yada. However I had a bit of a panic attack last night, and realized that the qualitative course would help me more in the future, so I asked to switch to that. I think I will focus on museum training in that particular course, which goes over archives and dealing with museum collections among other things. Anyway, I think that will be more useful in a later career than compiling databases. I am also taking a course entitled 'Death and Burial Cultures in Early Modern England.' I am pretty excited about it, it is taught by my dissertation supervisor whom I really enjoy. Don't really have much of an idea of what the class will entail, but I am excited.

All in all, I am looking forward to starting classes again, living with friends, and traveling in the new year!

No comments: