Thursday, February 7, 2008

Update

Not much to report here across the pond.  I started classes last week which so far has been good.  I have settled into my new place, which is also good.  I am trying to get a head start on work, which is somewhat good.  I am very glad to be living in a place where I can cook, and not be worried about the cleanliness of the kitchen, or the pans and utensils I use to cook with.  Last week I made homemade fettuccine alfredo, and it was a big hit.  Yesterday I made Thai red curry from Megan's recipe, and I will definately be making that again.  

Last night Anik coordinated a fundraiser/night out for an exhibition that she is putting on for part of her studies.  So the crew headed down to the quayside for a couple drinks in support of her.  It was fun, but we were all pretty tired so we didn't stay out late.  

This weekend, we might go to the old Roman fort of Arbeia.  If I end up going, I should have some fun pictures to share!  

My death class is going well.  Like I mentioned before, I enjoy the professor because he has a lot of knowledge, and class is strangely fun.  Next week, we are going to look at pictures of people with diseases.  Good times.  We are also going on at least one fieldtrip this semester.  I crack myself up because I write in my diary "11-1 Death" when I have class.  Alissa is also amused by it.  

The other classes are going well too.  Although we had a class scheduled on Tuesday, and the professor never showed up.  Each week a different professor teaches the class on a different topic, and supposedly this particular professor was confused about the time table.  However, he actually has a reputation for missing class, or being late.  My qualitative methods class is pretty interesting.  Right now we are learning about researching museums, galleries and heritage sites, which I never thought much about before.  It is also neat because that is what Alissa is studying, so I get a little taste of her program!  

Money matters are once again a shambles!  I was hoping that I wouldn't experience a repeat of last semester, but I am.  However this time around, I know what to expect, so it's not so shocking.  I signed my checks on Friday, and was told I would get the money next week sometime.  In reality, I probably won't see the money till the following week.  I was supposed to have the checks by Jan. 24, but of course they didn't get here till the 28th.  Such a pain.  Rob didn't get his checks till today, which is like two weeks late.  Basically, the situation is a disaster.  Fortunately, our program director has our back, and is helping us deal with the finance office.  Its probably too late to rectify things for us this year, but it would be nice for future students to not have to go through the same crap!

Alissa and I are going to take a pilates class in two weeks.  Alissa paid for my portion for my birthday, which is super nice.  I think it runs for at least 6 weeks, so I am excited!  We are going to miss three of the classes while we are on our trip, but oh well!  Speaking of my birthday, if anyone is interested in giving me a gift, I wouldn't mind a little money for my trip ;)  I was going to buy a travel backpack, but it looks like I can borrow one of Jaime and Rob's, so I can save some money that way.  I have to grab a few other things, but nothing too big, just a travel towel and maybe one or two other travel type items.  I am so excited for our trip, only a little over a month to go!  Africa and Spain, here I come!

I also got an email from Megan that she found a cheap ticket.  So she should be here in late April.  I am soooo excited for her to come see where I live!  I can't wait to see her and travel around a bit.  And now that I have a pretty sweet abode, it will be a nice visit.  

Hope everyone is doing well back home.  I miss and love you all!

1 comment:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

I'm so jealous that Megan gets to come visit! AND that you are making recipes from Megan. Do you ever try MY recipes? I guess it's hard to get ingredients like Red Bull and crystal meth in Newcastle...:-)