Sunday, February 10, 2008

Happy Chinese New Year!

This weekend was the Chinese New Year, and Newcastle held a celebration in Chinatown.  Rob, Jaime and I headed over to check out the happenings.  It was GORGEOUS outside, sunny and relatively warm, considering its February in England.  Global warming? 
So we got to the festivities, and there was a parade going on down the main street in Chinatown.  I of course could see nothing due to my height, and the massive amount of people there.  But I do know there was fireworks and a dragon.  We then wandered around to the various booths, checking out the wares.  
Chinatown is situated near the football stadium, which also happens to be next to where I used to live, and Chinatown is also adjacent to some parts of the old medieval town wall.  Its a pretty cool area.  There was a jumping castle, tea cups, big slide, and a stage set up for various Chinese performers.  We made our way to a food tent and consumed some noodles.  Apparently it is good luck to eat noodles for Chinese New Years, so I better have some good luck! ;)  It was a lovely afternoon out on the town.  

Last night, Alissa and I headed over to Daniel, Chris and Olivier's for some drinks.  Their French friend was in town for the weekend, so we ended up hanging out with them both nights. Daniel taught us how to play dominoes last night, which was confusing at first, but more fun as we began to play.  Who knew there was so much strategy and thinking in dominoes?  

Now I must get some reading done for class this week, since I procrastinated a bit over the weekend.  Jaime and Rob are making chili tonight, which smells amazing.  Should be good times.  Well a happy Chinese New Year to everyone, and I love you all!  xoxo

No comments: