Friday, February 29, 2008

Learning New Things

I have learned a few things this week.  On Wednesday, I asked Alissa to go to a lecture with me titled 'From a Culture of War to a Culture of Peace' given by Bruce Kent.  The lecture was at Newcastle's other University of Northumbria.  Bruce Kent has been involved for decades in trying to abolish war and promote a peaceful culture.  I was very interested in what he had to say, as I too think we need to move in that direction.  Kent and others are trying to work toward different solutions to conflicts, stating that war is not the only answer.  Another thing I learned that I had not connected before was the potential impending war over climate change.  Apparently forty-six countries have been identified as high risk of war linked to climate change.  Because of limited resources, and the physical consequences of climate change, it will make human habitats less habitable which could create tensions and sharpen existing social divisions.  Makes me think certainly.  So now I want to learn more and potentially do what I can to help.  

I received a package this morning, which was a very welcome way to start my day.  My lovely sister sent me a St. Adrian figurine.  I had no idea there was a St. Adrian, so this excited me.  Apparently (as stated on the box so it must be fact) he is the patron saint of butchers, arms dealer, prison guards and soldiers.  Hmmm, funny how I am against arms, not entirely sure how I feel about prison guards, and although I don't dislike soldiers, I dislike war.  The prayer on the box is to assist with meat preparation, it says, 'Most holy St. Adrian, I ask that you guide my knife as I deftly cut the tender flesh of animals that have been sacrificed to provide sustenance for mankind.  I also ask that you bless all of my meat with superior flavor and texture and protect it from disease and contamination.  Amen.'  I feel that it is pretty awesome.  St. Adrian is apparently a dark haired white man with a dark beard.  He also has a blue robe, an apron splattered with blood, and a butcher's knife.  Clearly a resemblance is there.  So anyhow, I got a little curious, so I googled St. Adrian.  He is real, he was not a baptized Christian, rather he suddenly liked what he heard, was consequently arrested and killed.  He was a Roman guard (cool) and was from/killed in Nicomedia.  He was killed on March 4, 306, so I expect you all to think about him (and me) in a few days time.  For more information on this awesome saint go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_of_Nicomedia  Wikepedia also adds that Adrian protects against plagues in addition to the things already listed.  I can live with that.  I don't care for plagues.

This weekend I am going to Anik's gallery opening.  All of the museum studies people had to do projects, so Anik (who wants to be a curator) and her group have arranged a showing for this evening.  Should be fun.  Tomorrow night, I am going to see The Eels in concert across the river.  A friend had a spare ticket, so why not?  On Sunday I am going to see 'There Will Be Blood' which I am pretty excited about.  In between, I will be writing about death, and of course reading about it.  It can get kind of depressing, especially at night, but I am enjoying the class overall.  I think I am going to write my final paper on dissection.  Cool.  Alissa organized a birthday party for me next Friday.  We are going to an 80s bar to dance and have general merriment.  I am pretty excited.  And then we leave in 16 days!  Wahoo!  

By the way, please check out my friend Jason's newest top ten list here: http://toptenlog.blogspot.com/  it is hilarious, and really makes you think about the people who get a lot of publicity and limelight.  Maybe we shouldn't be looking up to the people we do?  Just a thought...

2 comments:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

Thank you for the awesome link! I've been saying you are a saint for years. I'm just glad the figurine people figured it out, too...

Adrian said...

Aw shucks! I knew it too, just waiting for my minions to spread the word!