Saturday, February 9, 2008

Personal Space?

So I know it must be a cultural thing, but there is a serious lack of acknowledgment of personal space here in jolly ol' England.  Seriously, walking down the street, people literally run into you, and its no big deal.  No apologies, and if you don't move out of the way, you collide. While shopping in the grocery store, people block aisles, checkouts, anything, and get upset if you say 'excuse me.'  In fact, I am amazed daily at how close people stand next to me in line.  Little old ladies will stand literally two inches behind me. No big thang, you're just breathing down my neck!  

So anyhow, I attempt to accept this fact of daily life here, however, last night I was severely annoyed.  A few friends and I went to one of our regular places to hang out, Mr. Lynch's.  They usually have a band on the weekends and also a DJ in between sets.  So dancing of course is common.  However, people seriously have no concept that they are like right on top of you, flailing their arms, shaking their booties, swaying into you, etc.  Being a little person, I have come to accept the fact that I am not that noticeable in crowds, yada yada, but its not just me who gets rammed into on the dancefloor.  So I decided that I would return in kind.  I started flailing my arms, shaking my booty into people, etc.  It was quite satisfying, and one or two got the hint.  Although most people out on the town in Newcastle are so drunk they wouldn't even realize getting punched in the face.  I think I might start a revolution!  Quit ramming me on the dancefloor you drunkies!  

On a somewhat related note, I don't know if I have mentioned before how awesome dancing is here.  Basically, no one has rhythm, and they just do whatever the hell they want.  Which makes for some amazing people watching.  I love that no one cares what they look like, it is quite liberating really, except when they are getting up in my space!  I totally fit in with my flailing dance moves.  I showed them!

On a totally unrelated note, the weather here has been amazing!  At least a couple days out of the week, it is sunny and relatively warm.  Today it is in the high 50's!  Although on the days that it is not nice, it is REALLY not nice.  Wind totally sucks.  It sucks so much, I don't even know if I can relay how much it sucks.  One day in fact, there were gust winds up to 70mph.  I was supposed to go meet Alissa for lunch, and I walked less than two blocks and literally couldn't move any further.  It was raining, and my umbrella seriously broke, and the metal things were broken in all different directions.  I turned around and stayed inside the rest of the day.  February is supposed to be the worst month for weather, and I can understand when its windy out.  But when its sunny out its so lovely!  It doesn't help that there are fun spring things in all the stores.  I want to be able to wear sandals and dresses!  But I will be in sunny Morrocco/Spain soon enough where I can!

On an even more unrelated note, we went to lunch at a little cafe yesterday, and they had milkshakes on the menu.  We were all so excited, and of course ordered some.  But apparently milkshake translates to flavored milk here.  I got a chocolate banana 'milkshake' and it contained no ice cream.  It tasted good, but was not a real American milkshake.  Sigh, I suppose I will live...

1 comment:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

Awesome post! LOVE the picture! You milkshake story was hilarious! I miss you...