Sunday, March 9, 2008

80s 'Dance Magic Dance' Birthday Extravaganza!


For my birthday this year, Alissa organized an 80s themed birthday party.  I really miss dancing to 80s music, which I can do pretty regularly while in Tucson.  So she did a little research and found a bar in the area called 'Bigg Market' in the city centre.  The bar is called '80s Bar' and it said online that they play 80s music on Friday nights.  In the spirit of the event, Alissa and I bought some smashing outfits to represent the 80s.  We were a little shocked to find that most stores in the high street carried MANY 80s fashions, so there was a lot to choose from.  I found this spandexy number for 2 pounds!  With the hot pink tights and leg warmers, it was on.  Alissa found quite a nice out fit as well, complete with pink boots found for 5 pounds.  So we were clearly prepared for our exciting evening out.  We met a few friends at the local pub for a drink before heading to our destination.  When we arrived, we were pretty much the only patrons, and the DJ was playing modern dance music.  Hmmm, this would not do.  We grabbed a drink, and Alissa went to the DJ to ask about the music.  He said that they had to accommodate everyone, and that he would play 80s music a bit later.  Alissa also asked where one could go to hear 80s music, and he sadly replied, 'nowhere anymore.'  We didn't let this bring us down, and made our way to the dancefloor anyway.  After a few current hip-hop/pop songs, the DJ finally played some 80s music.  So my friends and I rocked it out, as only 80s music enthusiasts can do.  Unfortunately, he mostly played the poppy 80s music that is not my favorite.  But I wouldn't let it damper my spirits, and I continued to bust some moves.  It was really fun, and I have to say that once the bar filled up, most of the patrons enjoyed the 80s music as well.  I am happy to say that all my girlfriends were appropriately attired for the 80s appreciation, with only the gentleman lacking.  It was truly an awesome birthday party!

2 comments:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

Um, are those LEG WARMERS? I don't know what's scarier: the ghost living in your bathroom, or spandex...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Adrian said...

You KNOW those are legwarmers! My legs were cold...