Monday, November 5, 2007

Top Ten Awesome British Words!


10. Flower. I have come to understand this as a term of endearment. I was called "flower" today by the lady I was buying produce from at the market.

9. Toastie. I probably like this word simply because it means a toasted cheese sandwich.

8. Tatties. OK, I saw this one in Scotland, but I figured it still counts. It means mashed potatoes.

7. Nappys. It sounds nicer than diapers.

6. Spangly. This word I am fascinated by. It is a cross between sparkly and dangly! Glorious!

5. Chav. This sounds like a bad word to me. It is used to describe young men who are a bit of a lout, wear sportswear, and are often of low social status. But I think you can use it more broadly, and pretty much call anyone a chav.

4. They call band aids plasters here.

3. Fannie. It means crotch instead of butt here.

2. Moothy. This is a mouth organ! Ha!

And the number one awesome British word is...

1. Bollocks! It is a universal term that means balls. But the usage varies, and seems to be everyone's favorite cuss word. Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks!

And the alternates:

Snickelways are like alleyways
Cakes mean donuts
Neeps are turnips
Fields of rape. Apparently rape is the same thing as canola, it was changed in America so it wouldn't sound so bad talking about "fields of rape"!

1 comment:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

10. Flower.

>You ARE a precious flower!

9. Toastie.

>When I shoot three Lemon Drops I get toastie...

8. Tatties.

>I got a tattie on my back of the USS Arizona from shoulder blade to shoulder blade.

7. Nappys.

>I LOVE taking more than one nap!

6. Spangly. This word I am fascinated by. It is a cross between sparkly and dangly! Glorious!

>When I get glitter on my bollocks, they are spangly...

5. Chav.

>Is this short for Chauvinist Pig?

4. They call band aids plasters here.

>When I drink three Scooby Snacks I get band aids. No, wait, I get plastered.

3. Fannie. It means crotch instead of butt here.

>Glorious.

2. Moothy. This is a mouth organ! Ha!

>This sounds like a mouthy Canadian. Moothy...

Snickelways

>I love Snickelways and Almond Joy.

Cakes mean donuts

>I love me some Krispy Kakes!

Neeps are turnips

>Don't pinch my neeps!

Fields of rape.

>Yeah, we have that at the High School bleachers nearby.