Sunday, September 23, 2007

Day Trip to the Seaside!

So today, we took the Metro to the coast. Our stop was at Tyneside, where in the Metro station, they had a cute flea-type market. There were lots of antiques, and various English memorabilia in addition to many other things. We then started our walk to the coast through the cute sea-side town. It was a relatively short walk, and when we got there, there was an old castle and priory right next to the water! So of course we took a ridiculous amount of pictures, including multiple gag photos, hopefully for your enjoyment soon.

The seaside was really beautiful and picturesque. The weather was pretty good today. In the lower 60's, but it did get quiet windy at some points near the water. After our time at the ruins, we walked to the next town of North Shields for some traditional fish and chips by river. This area is where the river Tyne goes into I believe the North Sea. A local recommended a place called the Waterfront, and it was delicious! It was a huge piece of cod on top of some fries. The cod was amazing and tasted a little sweet. By the way, we had to pay 20 pence for each packet of ketchup! I also noticed that sodas seem to taste much sweeter here than in the states. I think I noticed that before in previous trips, but Alyssa and Rachel agreed with me. I guess the Brits really like things sweet!

We then walked back to the metro in North Shields, which happened to be up a GIANT hill. Guess we worked off some of that fried food! There was a football match today in the stadium next to us, but we were off at the coast. Although from all the foot-traffic and jerseys we saw, it seems to be a pretty huge thing. Our home team is Newcastle United, and I might try to go to a match at some point, cause why not?

So I am going to take an easy night tonight, and at ten tomorrow morning I have to go to my department to hopefully get some classes. Next week is mostly more registration type stuff, so actual classed don't start till the week after. I will also hopefully get my loan money tomorrow (fingers crossed), open a bank account and get a phone. Alyssa and I plan to get groceries on Tuesday, and hopefully some detergent and toilet paper. I had to steal some from the common bathroom, since most things close early on Sunday! I also haven't had the luxury of doing laundry since I left Tucson, so I am eager to do that. However, it cost 1 pound, 80 pence per load in the washer, and 1 pound for the dryer! So I will be saving up my laundry as much as possible so as to do it as cheaply as possible.

Well that's it for now-I'll surely be blogging again soon!