Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thank god it's Friday!

Well, technically I am writing Saturday morning, but the content will be on what I did Friday. So I woke up around 9, ate some breakfast and then walked to campus to sign my loan checks, so I can hopefully get the money next week sometime. Then, I went and opened a bank account, which was surprisingly easy. I then went to another boring induction, where I consumed free tea and biscuits, and also updated my daily planner. So I guess it wasn't too bad. Then I came home to make some lunch. I was really craving a coke, and we have a vending machine in our dorm, so I walked down to get a coke and a bag of chips while waiting for my lunch to be cooked. In the vending machine, the coke is 1 pound. That is two dollars for a coke! And they also have really interesting flavors of chips, or crisps as they are know here. One was savoury beef, Canadian ham, pickle, tomato ketchup, and other random flavors. I went with the cheese and onion, which were quite tasty. In the afternoon, I downloaded a bunch of articles for my class, so I can potentially start my reading at any time! I also spent a good chunk of time uploading pictures to the blog, so you can see more of my everyday life.

I then met up with the postgraduate forum for the historical studies school at 5pm. We went to the Old Orleans, which is supposed to be just like a restaurant in New Orleans. It was quite nice. Then I met up with Alissa, and some of her friends, and we went to a club called the Revolution. Drinks were no less than 5 pounds (which is 10 dollars!) and their thing was fancy vodka drinks. They also sold trays of 6 different shots at a time, which I assume you just get one and slowly take all the shots. Not really my cup of tea. I didn't see any beer taps, I think they probably discouraged the consumption of beer, because they wanted everyone to drink a fancy mixed drink. The music was incredibly loud, so it was really hard to talk to anyone. After a short stint there, we walked down the street to a much more laid back bar, where everyone drank beer! We talked to a few people, so it was a good time. Did I mention it was raining last night, and I still haven't bought an umbrella? I am on a mission today to buy one!

So today was the first morning I could sleep in, but of course my body wanted to get up at 9. I laid around for a bit longer, and I started to hear some yelling. Once I got up, I sat at my desk and saw that there were a few people at the park, and it looked like it was boot camp. There were three women, and one man who was yelling at them to do their particular boot camp like excercises. Didn't look too fun. Anyway, I am off to run a couple of errands.

1 comment:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

I remember ketchup-flavored chips in Europe. What are those people thinking? The only time ketchup should be applied is when a potato is in French fry form. I think it's time for a full-scale land invasion again to straighten Europe out. I'm just saying, is all.