Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hump Day

So today was Wednesday, but it already feels much later in the week. I had some more boring stuff to attend to today at the university, but I am afraid not to go in the fear of missing something. We had about a 2 1/2 hour break, and I went to have tea with a few guys from my program. We actually went to a pub for tea, because apparently you can also get tea and breakfast in a pub. So there really is no reason to leave :) We ended up staying past our tea, and ate lunch and had a pint before heading back to another boring meeting.

I was done after that, and had to go sign up for a Doctor. I get FREE medical care while here, but they really like you to have a doctor picked out in case of any illness or emergency. I can't get over the fact that it's free, plus prescriptions are like less than ten bucks! So I guess it must not be that hard to be able to give people decent healthcare...

I then met up with Alyssa to get some groceries. We went to the indoor market nearby for some produce and bread, and it was impressively inexpensive. However at one place I asked for two pairs, and when I got home I realized the guy gave me two carrots. But it was nice to finally see what options we have in regards to produce and the like. The market also has butchers, who I have been told have good meat. We then went to the Co Op which is the name of the nearest supermarket. We spent a long time wandering around looking at all the options and different things. I found Mexican food! They have all the fixins to cook Mexican one night, including refried beans, so that makes me happy! Alyssa and I decided that we would try to cook together at least once a week, alternating who cooks. Hopefully that way we will keep down our costs. We also bought laundry detergent, but we stood around staring at all the different types for awhile, not knowing which to buy. We ended up buying the least expensive liquid, so I hope that will do!

We then lugged our purchases back home, going up a couple hills, so that was fun. And then I had to lug them up two flights of stairs to my room. And then, one more to my kitchen! After that, I put all my laundry in a suitcase, and lugged it down two flights of stairs to the closest laundry room. I put my money into the washer, and realized that you have to put the soap and laundry in first! I wasted 2 pounds on a washer with no clothes in it :( I was then out of coins, so I dragged myself upstairs to Alyssa's room to get some from her. Luckily she had some. Then I went back, and both machines were full. One was technically empty, but it was still going! So rather than lugging my laundry farther to a different laundry room, I decided to just take it back upstairs. Luckily, one of the guys I am sharing my kitchen with was around and he brought my suitcase of dirty laundry up to my room for me! What a pal. So long story short...I didn't get my laundry done. Instead, I rearranged my room and finally unpacked. So it turned out to be a pretty succesful evening, even though I didn't get to do laundry.

Well I am off for now. I should be posting pictures by this weekend!