Friday, September 21, 2007

My Arrival

So I am finally here in England. I have been here a little more than 24 hours, and my emotions are a wreck! I am really excited to be here, but also sad because I miss my friends and family. I couldn't even contact anyone until this afternoon! This will definately be a growing experience. I am going out tonight with a couple people, so that should help. It is a little scary being on my own, but I know it is worth it.

Newcastle is a pretty cool city. I am within walking distance of pretty much everything, so that's nice. I need to take some pictures soon, so that I can share them with everyone. My accommodation is in an old Georgian building that has been converted to dorms. You can tell that it was built long ago by how my room looks. The outside is really cool looking too. I have a walled up fireplace in my room. There is also crown moldings on the ceiling and up near the ceiling. However the walls are painted a real light pink, so I am not sure what's up with that. The curtains are also horrendous, but whatever. I have the standard dorm room furniture, single bed, desk, two chairs and a couple small dressers. I also have two old fashioned heaters in my room. I have two windows that overlook the park that is next to me. I think I have one of the larger/nicer rooms since one of the porters made a comment about it being swanky when I told him what room it was. It is pretty good sized too, so I am a lucky lady. I just wish I had a more comfortable bed and shower! Oh well, I can suck it up for 9 months. :)

So far, I haven't located any Indian food :( But Chinatown is real close to me, it is only a small area, but I hear the food is good, and stays open late. So far I have found a lot of shops that just sell pre-made, packaged sandwiches. Not so much to my liking, but I will surely find something to suit.

I think I will try to get a job at some point at a pub, or something similar. It wouldn't hurt to have spending money, and have a good experience!

Well that is all for now, I will write when I have more news!