Sunday, October 28, 2007

Good times...and Alnwick Castle


I had a really good weekend. It started out by getting lunch and shopping all day with Alissa on Friday. Some girls from my program invited me to a bar in Jesmond (like a suburb area in Newcastle, but close to the city center) so Alissa and I went to meet up with my school friends. The bar is called Mr. Lynch's, and it was really nice. There was a live band, and it was more like our crowd. Most of the pubs/bars near our building contain really young students, and/or older people. We have been looking for a place that feels like more of our crowd, and I believe we found it. We did a little dancing, a little socializing, and a little drinking. We met lots of nice people, and had a stellar time. We didn't get home till around 3am.

I am pretty sure I saved a man's life, cause when we got home, there was a guy passed out in the grass in front of our building. He wouldn't wake up, and I noticed he was shaking with cold. The grass was damp, and it was probably in the 40's. He finally became slightly conscious, so I helped him into the reception area. He proceeded to become unconscious again. I couldn't find a wallet or phone, and since he was passed out, he couldn't help us to figure out who he was, or where he belonged. So I called the guy on duty, who then called the warden, so Alissa and I went off to bed.

I fell asleep around 3:30, and had to get up at 7:30 to catch the bus to Alnwick. The alarm/testing system of the football stadium went off at 6am, and I had my window open, so it woke me up. Thus I had around 2 hours of sleep before my big day at Alnwick. I was slightly hung over, and clearly sleep deprived, but didn't feel too bad initially.

It takes about an hour to get to Alnwick by bus. It is only like 30 miles away, but of course it takes awhile to get there. Alnwick Castle is one of the homes of the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland. It is where parts of the first two Harry Potter movies were filmed, as well as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Elizabeth, and a few others. We took a tour that told us the spots where Harry Potter and other movies were filmed. It was pretty fun. Part of the living areas are open to the public, so that was cool to see. It would be awesome to live in a castle!

After the castle, we walked to the town to have lunch. We then proceeded to a large well-known bookstore, and browsed for a bit. We caught the bus back, and it was a double decker bus! We sat up top, but by the end of the trip, I was very motion sick. I then went to my room to take a nap.

Alissa and I met up with some new friends Saturday night. We went back to Mr. Lynch's and had a pretty mellow night. We woke up today and got some breakfast and got a few groceries. We also swapped photos and music, when I really should have been reading! Oh well, it was the first weekend that has been pretty relaxed, and I got to hang in Newcastle and enjoy myself, so it was worth it.

Now I am a bit tired, and must prepare for a serious day of reading tomorrow. Should be good times. Ciao!

No comments: