Monday, October 8, 2007

Porters and filthy kitchen mates

I woke up this morning with nothing to do but get some reading done for class tomorrow. So I lazily got up, went to my computer, tooled around, posted some stuff...you catch my drift. I finally decided to go upstairs to my kitchen for some cereal and orange juice with tasty bits (see top ten list if confused). I see an email posted to my kitchen door. It says that due to the sink continually being clogged by food, they are threatening to rescind the daily cleaning if it doesn't change. Wow. I am not too happy. The kitchen is continually a disgusting mess. I have yet to actually cook a homemade meal there because I am concerned about the cleanliness of the place (and it's hard to cook for just one person). But seriously, everyone in my building is a post-graduate student, so we should all be at the age where we know how to clean up after ourselves. The only thing that allows myself to go there everyday is knowing that a lady comes and cleans it Monday through Friday, every day. I seriously would hate her job, but I am glad she does it. So since I am not the one leaving the mess or clogging the sink, the punishment shouldn't affect me right? Wrong. I am screwed unless the other people in my kitchen clean up after themselves. Awesome.

I have also befriended one of the porters that works in my building. I met him the second day I was here, and see him at least once or twice a week. He is very friendly, so I usually enjoy talking to him. He is middle aged, about my height, and just a jolly man. However this evening, I ran into him after I put a pizza in the oven. We usually see each other on Mondays, and so we always ask about each other's weekends. He has a family, and all that typical family life entails. Today however, when departing, he gave me a kiss on the cheek. Now it was probably just a friendly, I'm British kiss on the cheek, but it was still a little weird. I am not used to strangers, let alone most of my loved ones kissing me on the cheek. So I am a bit puzzled.

Ok, just a couple of things for you to ponder :)

3 comments:

Jason Rohrblogger said...

Creepy porter story. And your kitchen...ewww!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you should be glad it wasent on the lips... ha ha

Anonymous said...

uh-ohhhhhh!!