Friday, October 19, 2007

It's Official...I Have Been Here One Month!

Hello everyone. I have officially passed my one month mark here in England. It seems like a long time, and then it doesn't! I sometimes get the feeling that I am on a really cool vacation, and then I realize, I LIVE here! It's crazy. I do feel very comfortable here, but there is still a lot for me to learn, and I do get shocked at times. It's just like a jolt that hits me randomly, and I remember that I am living in England!

The money situation has improved this week. Everything seems to be coming together nicely. I had three classes this week, and I am still excited about that. My class yesterday focused on crime and witchcraft in the early modern period, so I was totally into that. I am toying with the idea of doing my dissertation on something to do with folklore, magic, witchcraft, cunning men/women and customs. Not sure how that would all create a great paper yet, but I have time. I was also thinking about maybe doing a comparison with witches in England and werewolves and vampires on the continent. All three were used to explain things that the normal person couldn't explain, like illness or sick animals. We shall see. I also went to a seminar after class yesterday with a leading British historian. It was a small, informal setting, and I really enjoyed myself. I am such a nerd! Getting all excited about academics and readings! But it reinforces why I am here, and how much I love learning. Yay!

After the seminar, Alissa and I hung out with a few people at a pub. It was fun. We stopped into a few places that we hadn't been to before, so now we know a few more places to go. We were home by 10:30 since Alissa had to leave early for Edinburgh. I am taking the train to meet up with her this afternoon. My friend Liz, from St. Andrews is also meeting us, so I am really excited about a weekend in Scotland! I will scope some stuff out for my future visitors :) It will be an adventure for me to take the train by myself, and then find the hostel by myself, but I am excited to do it. I will have tons of pictures I am sure, so keep your eyes out for them!

No comments: