Monday, October 15, 2007

Mexican food!!!

After our trip to York on Saturday, my friends and I decided upon a relaxing Sunday. For me that consisted of doing two giant loads of laundry, that didn't get fully dried. Oh well, you can't have everything! Then around 3:30, Alissa and I went to the grocery store for the ingredients for a Mexican fiesta! We were going over to Rob and Jaime's to cook dinner and watch Harry Potter movies, since Jamie and Rob hadn't seen them. At our local store, Alissa and I found all the fixins to make a taco dinner. Complete with seasoning, taco shells, plain doritos tortilla chips, hot doritos salsa, and some fresh salsa stuff as well. We also made brownies and had a mint chocolate chip ice cream. I ate so much delicious Mexican food, it was painful! We watched the first two Harry Potter movies, and it was a good time. By the way, the first book and movie over here are titled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Fun!

Today, I had to have a meeting with the rest of my kitchen mates and the head cleaner in our kitchen to discuss our "problems." Only myself and two others showed up out of 8! I expressed my concern that I haven't actually cooked in my kitchen because it has been so dirty. In fact, when I got home last night, there was left over food all over the counters as well as a ton of dirty dishes. These were left for the housekeeper this morning, but it's not their job to clean dishes and pick up food. So anyways, if the situation doesn't become better, we risk being fined, and the cleaning service withdrawn. Even for those of us who clearly aren't making a mess! I can't really blame them, because if they don't know who the culprit is, then they have no choice but to fine everyone. But from my point of view, I shouldn't have to pay for stuff in the kitchen since I barely use it. However, I would use it more often if it were clean...and the saga continues.

I had a great day overall though. I got some stuff done, so I feel accomplished, and I was in a pleasant mood. Tomorrow I have class in the afternoon, and a few things to do before that. I am feeling more settled in. In fact when I got home today I was happy and felt like I was coming home. Either I am liking my living situation more, or I am getting used to it, or both! So I am trying to maintain a positive attitude. Things seem to be going in my favor lately, and I should hopefully hear about some financial stuff within the next two days. Things are looking up!

I also ran into a couple of guys in my building who I met the first week was here. Alissa and I will probably get together with them soon, so I am excited at making new friends. Right now, most of my friends seem to be American, so I am looking forward to meeting some other people.

My room has also developed a funk, so I have been trying to air it out with the windows open. It's strange, and I can't discover the source! Maybe since it has been relatively warm and humid, there is just an odor that occurs from the old building . I don't want to be the stinky lady! I might have to invest in some Febreeze!

No comments: